"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Thursday, January 1, 2015

HSF 2014 - Challenge #24 - All that glitters (Dancing Shoes)

The Challenge: #24 All that glitters

Fabric: Shiny lining material, faux leather

Pattern: N/a
Year: 1920's was my target era.

Notions: Modge Podge, Plasti-kote Brass Spray enamel, stick on 'gems'.

How historically accurate is it? Well this is more 'inspired by' than a HA copy.
Hours to complete: Took me two days.
First worn: To test nothing fell off.

Total cost: The shoes I got from primark ages ago so probably not more than £5, Spray paint £3.90 (but only used small amount), gems (pack of lots for 99p). Faux leather is cut out of a jacket given me for free. So approx £10 total.

I wanted some jazz era shoes for dancing in. I prefer doing charleston in flats so HA heels wasn't an option. So I started with a pair of ballet pumps. They had floral pattern and a heel with a straw texture, which meant they didn't go with any of my outfits. So I used modge podge and pining material to cover the shoes especially the straw bit. I then cut out a new 'sole' out of faux leather and glued to the bottom. This was when I decided I didn't like the look of the green.

So I then decided to spray paint them.
Once that had dried I got out some sticky gems, that are meant for deocrating your mobile phone. I stuck them down with pva glue rather than the weak sticky backing they came with.
Ready for dancing!




No comments:

Post a Comment