"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Saturday, December 20, 2014

HSF 2014 - Challenge #23 - Modern History (1940s Skirt)

The Challenge: #23 Modern History

Fabric: Wool Mix, lining

Pattern: Simplicity 4044 with added lining

Year: The pattern is a 40s repro. I added a lining even though it wasn't in instructions.

Notions: Zip

How historically accurate is it? The zip is metal, the fabric plausible and the pattern of the period.

Hours to complete: Took me three days of sewing mixture of machine and hand sewing although I left a gap inbetween starting and finishing the skirt.
First worn: 20/12/14

Total cost: Approx. £35

I decided a bit last minute to add the lining after finding the wool fabric shed too much.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Sometimes I have crazy cosplay ideas

Well crazy for me. lol! Others would think them simple, but with my fitting issues for me they mean hard work. My love of history and historical costuming is driving this weeks inspiration. Of course I have far more ideas/costumes than there are events I could go to...so sometimes its a bit like windowshopping or buying a pretty pair of shoes you know you can't walk in (I call them sitting/posing shoes).

First idea Tudor 'Belle' (Beauty and the beast)
Got the shirt already. Just need to make kirtle, coif and apron.

Second idea Medieval Repunzal - Tangled
I need to finish my medival dress/kirtle and find some faux plaits for long hair look.
Thirdly Lolita TARDIS - well its a nod to those styles.
Black headband with police box qritten on it. White Shirt. Blue waistcoat with tardis key. Blue skirt with window pockets. Yellow petticoat. And a key lock shaped necklace.

Friday, December 12, 2014

HSF 2014 - Challenge #22 - Menswear (18thC Shirt)

The Challenge: #22 Menswear

Fabric: Linen & cotton

Pattern: Self drafted using knowledge of making shifts and images on pinterest of exhaunt shirts

Year: 18th century, but could pass for earlier and later as its ment to be a generic pirate shirt

Notions: Buttons, thread

How historically accurate is it? Well I used linen which is correct fabric, I used period shirts as reference, but I machine sewed the main seams for speed. I also found I didn't have enough linen so I had to make cuff and collar out of 100% cotton.

Hours to complete: Took me two days of sewing mixture of machine and hand sewing.
First worn: for fittings

Total cost: Approx. £20

Notes: This item although its a "man's" shirt will be worn by me (female). Its for a pirate costume I have an idea for...plus a poet style shirt comes in handy for different outfits and it would make a cosy nighty.

I didn't have enough linen to make the whole shirt. So the collar and cuffs are 100% cotton instead.

Added a little button on the front so I can wear the nack open if I want too.

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Miscellanious Creations

So I thought I'd gather together all the things I've made recently into one easy to read post as each one is a small project.
1. Mouse ears

These were made using craft foam and craft felt. Very simple and quick to make I glued the felt and doam layer together, then folded in half and glued the bottom of the ear together. Then glued on a hair clip.
2. Steampunk-ish trinket box

Made from the remains of a pringles container I cut up for....
3. Time ring (ok its more of a bangle but its called a time ring in doctor who)

I had the stick on gems in my stash. It was very easy to make. If a little tedious letting each layer of paint dry.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

HSF 2014 - Challenge #21 - Redo

The Challenge: #21 Redo - Fairytale #6

Fabric: red poly silk taffeta with aubtle stripe, Cotton lining.

Pattern: Self drafted using Butterick 4254 (View B) as a starting point before draping on the stand.
Year: 1780-1795

Notions: boning, embroidery floss, ribbon, lace, self covered buttons.

How historically accurate is it? Its the closest I could get with my skills and budget. I used the patterns in patterns of fashion as reference.

Hours to complete: From first draft to basic completeness. 3 weeks.
First worn: For photo's...its for an event next year.

Total cost: Fabric £30 (this is a bit of a guess as I forgot to note the amount of fabric I bought but the 'silk' was 65" wide about 4 meters, the lining was just a scrap I had of curtain lining.) Everything else is from my stash so I no longer know the cost.

 After drafting my bodice pattern I made a mock up for fitting using lining fabric.

 I then unpicked the lining and flatlined the 'silk' and then sewed it together.
Then put it on the dress form so I could drape the skirts. The skirts consited of two pannels.
 I pleated the back and gathered the sides. I also made a slit at the sides for access to the pockets.
 I also sewed on the ribbon loops which can be used to polonaise the skirts. You can see I added boning to the bodice.

 I hemmed the skirts. Then sewed on the hook and eye down the front.

I also made my first pair of sucessful fabric covered buttons. And sewed to the back of the bodice so I could clook up the skirts.

Then I sewed on the black lace round the neckline and sleeves...unfortunately I still haven't had chance to take photo of the completed dress on me yet...but it is finished.

UPDATE! So I've now had a chance to take photo's of the dress with trim.
Close up of the neckline trim and lace cuffs. Plus the buttons at the back for looping up skirts.
looped up, polonaised skirt.
With belt...
With skirts let down.

Look! Pockets!