"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

18th Century Dress - the Plan

The plan is for this dress is it will be able to adapt to several 'cosplays' as well as working for historical events in the future.  I started with researching the era on pinterest. I also check to see what I had enough fabric of in my 'stash'.

The red dress above seen in the scarlet pimpernel was just what I had in mind. It can be dressed up or down and I love the combination of the black fichu with the red gown.
I then found a pattern in the book that would give me a close enough look. (I think this is the original garment). I wanted to be able to polonaise the skirts so I could wear it down or up with a shorter skirt for a more piratical ensemble. The sleeves are shorter than the one in the pimpernel as I have found that comicons are always boiling hot and stuffy inside. And when you wear a fichu as well as all the requisite layers its probably going to be pretty toasty.




Cosplays this could work for include:

  • Pirates of the carribean
  • Queen of Hearts
  • Clockwork Droid
  • Margo Blakeney
  • Barmaid victorian clara (I know its not victorian but to the casual observer not aquainted with historical fashion it would work)
  • Marie Antoinette


No comments:

Post a Comment