"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Saturday, May 3, 2014

HSF 2014 - Challenge #8 - UFO/PHD (Tudor smock)

The Challenge: #8 PHD/UFO - Tudor Smock
Fabric: Cotton.
Pattern: I used the Tudor Tailor book as reference for the 'shapes' using my knowledge of how I make chemises.
Year: Tudor
Notions: Embroidery floss.
How historically accurate is it? the 'pattern' and shapes are correct. I took inspiration from janet arnolds patterns of fashion for the embroidery. I did most of it by hand. Only the buttonholes were done by machine (but they aren't correct either but then its for convenience). Its close enough for me.
Hours to complete: Lost count as it was a ufo.
First worn: N/A
Total cost: Probably around the £10 mark.

So this challenge was all about finishing PHD (project half done), UFO (Un-Finished Objects). So I started with the smock/nightdress I was planning to make for the fairytale challenge. It had been left unfinished as I couldn't get it to fit right and the collar just didn't work.
Original 'Smock' nightdress

 So first thing I did was remove the collar and cut the neckline into a lower square shape. Then I finished off the sleeves with buttons.
 I then embroidered the neckline and added some eyelets down the front. So I could spiral lace it. I also found once I'd changes the nackline it kept slipping off my shoulders so added a little tuck in the cb to make it a bit more stable.
The item itself is complete I just need to make some lacing thin enought to get through the eyelets.

No comments:

Post a Comment