"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

HSF 2014 - Challenge Planning

Been working out how I can combine HSF '14 and my cosplay plans. And my fabric buying embargo. I've limited myself to only one visit to fabric shop per month....my fabric stash is getting too big. lol!

#1: Make Do & Menddue Wed 15 Jan. For this Making do & Mending a failed project into a Dorothy dress.

#2: Innovation - due Sat 1 Feb.  Bustle pad.

#3: Pink - due Sat 15 Feb.  Pink bodiced petticoat. I know usually they are white but I like the thought of a pink one. Or a pink dress, or waist petticoat. I seem to have finally decided on finishing off a UFO my lady mary blouse for the pink challenge.

#4: Under it All – due Sat 1 March. A new chemise.

#5: Bodice - 15 March. Make a bodice – a garment that covers the upper body.  Bustle era bodice.

#6: Fairytale – due Tue 1 April. At the moment I'm thinking night dress...but that may change.

#7: Tops & Toes – due Tue 15 April.  Create an accessory that goes on your head, or on your feet.
I'm going to try and make some spats using festive attires tutorial.
I also have plans to upcycle a pair of plain ballet pumps into regency dance shoes. Sueding the soles, adding a buckle and ribbon.

#8: UFOs & PHDs – due Thur 1 May.
My green regency pellise (its a bit of an epic fail really the fabric was such a pain to work with). Or velvet belt.

#9: Black and White – due Thur 15 May.  Draw on the opposite ends of the shade spectrum to create something in black and white, or black or white.
Black foundation skirt maybe with white piping or ruffles? Or maybe a edwardian blouse. Not sure will decide for sure later.

#10: Art – due Sun 1 June.  Make your own masterpiece based on a work of art.
I hope it counts but I have this book and thought the dress on the cover was really nice. I think its 1928 so need to reserch the style I need.

#11: The Politics of Fashion – due Sun 15 June.
Will be busy so missing this one out.

#12: Shape & Support – due Tue 1 July.  Make a garment that changes the silhouette of the human form through shaping and support.
I could do short stays re-do....but I suspect I might be busy with other sewing at the time.

#13: Under $10 – due Tue 14 July.  Whip up a fabulous item for under $10.
$10....I think that's about £6. gonna be really hard to do. Might have to have a ponder.

#14: Paisley & Plaid – due Fri 1 August.
Always like a plaid...but I have had my eye on using some paisley in something...might decorate the white regency muslin shawl I made.

#15: The Great Outdoors – due Fri 15 August.
Mud in August?! Oh well, might be good oppertunity for my knickerbocker/plus fours to get made up.

#16: Terminology – due Mon 1 September.  Explore the etymology of fashion by make something defined in the Great Historical Fashion & Textile Glossary .
Need to do a little reserch and see what I could make there.

#17: Yellow - due Mon 15 September.
I have a yellow regency dress to make for a friend.

#18: Poetry in Motion - due Wed 1 October  Find inspiration for a garment in poetry and song.
Well there's a few folk songs I might be able to find something for... but I'm leaning towards something 'nautical'. There seems to be pleanty of folk songs where the gals run off to sea in disguise. Or maybe The yellow handkerchief form 'flash company'.

#19: HSF Inspiration - due Wed 15 October.  Be inspired by one of the challengers item from HSF ’13 or HSF challenges 1-18 to make your own fabulous item.
Something I'll think about nearer the time.

#20: Alternative Universe – due Sat 1 November.  Create a garment from an alternative universe: fantasy, steampunk, dieselpunk, etc.  Your item can be perfectly historically accurate within our own universe as well.
Mawhahahaha! Ok few ideas for this...I'll see what I need at the time. I'm thinking trenzalore skirt.

#21: Re-do – due Sat 15 November.
Will pick this closer to the time.

#22: Fort-nighliers Choice – due Mon 1 December.  This one is up to you!  In June I’ll ask for suggestions for a theme, and we’ll vote to pick the one you most want to do as our 22nd Challenge of the year.
Depends what gets chosen.

#23: Modern History – due Mon 15 December.  Make something historical or historically inspired that is wearable in an everyday context.
I do this all the time. :) So I will see what I need closer to the date. Probably a blouse or dress.

#24: All that Glitters – due Thur 1 January.
Sparkly, hmmmm....not really a sparkle person.

No comments:

Post a Comment