"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Bustle Era Cosplay

The Doctor: Guess what I've got Donna.
[Pulls out a large remote device from his overcoat]
Pockets.
Donna: How did they fit in there?
The Doctor: They're bigger on the inside.

So the main thought with this ensemble was pockets...lots of them. Now I liked the thought of making a female sherlock victorian outfit.
 I liked the fashion plate below especially as she's holding some glasses

But then I like pinstripes...and I was looking at perhaps a female tenth doctor victorian outfit.
 The striped apron and bodice over a plain skirt. Low neck but with option of a fichu to fill it in.
Again striped fabric over a plain foundation skirt. I love the elegant simplicity. The sleeve length amount of ruffles. And the hat as well on and that she has an umbrella...perfect for an english summer. ;)

For all of them I'll need the right layers...and the right fabrics. I don't want to be perspiring all day. lol! Practicality is key.
I'll need bustle, petticoat, stays, chemise, foundation skirt, bodice and a swagged apron. Now for calculating the cost. The bustle, chemise and petticoat I can make from my stash. The foundation skirt, 'apron' and bodice (with lining, boning etc.) Looking at the yardages for the proper patterns. I'll probably need about 3-4 meters for the skirt (which I'll also use as the lining fabric), 3 for the bodice and apron? Not sure how much boning needed?

Anyway...the game, is on. ;)

2 comments: