"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Chemisettes - the good, the bad and the ugly

Well I wouldn't say bad more the pretty and the ugly. lol! Been looking up chemisettes for inspiration. Its a fine line between modesty and looking like your being attacked by a monster.
I'm basing the basic idea of mine on the one in patterns of fashion. I'm a bit too lazy to scale up. I just used the shapes for reference and draped it on my dress form.
The pattern calls for a mushroom pleated ruff. Which on looking it up seems a bit tricky. I'm worried I'm going to look like a bird that's swallowed a dinnerplate (to quote blackadder). Which is not good with my proportions.
You can see in the image above there is a more...subtle ruffle round the neckline. I'm wonder if I can re-create the same look?

I've put in some decorative tucks at the centre back.

 I pinned on some lace just to see. What do you think fabric pleated ruffle or lace?

Well I went for the ruffle it just sat better. I pleated it by eye.
Sewed it all by hand...not for historical accuracy but because I like to hand sew. Its only taken me 2 days (well 1 eveing, 1 day).
Here worn with my first regency dress I ever made (the non accurate one) but it does the job.


No comments:

Post a Comment