"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Dress for Twinwood

I had ticket for the saturday only of Twinwood this year. The forcast was hot and sunny when I started my dress....It was torrential rain by time I finished it. Oh, dear! But I was going to wear it anyway. I changed my shoe plans though...wore my 1940's style clogs.

I chose simplicity 3673 pattern for my dress.

I tissue fitted the pattern on my dress form. I altered the number of darts on the skirt.

 Now the back on the tissue fit came out differently to how it did on the fabric.
Front - fabric pinned together.


 As you can see there was excess in the bodice on the waistline. So I made two darts. I also decided to bias bind the neck and arms. I didn't line the bodice. Now I made a little error.
When trimming the neckline seam I accidentily caught the shoulder back in the scissor blades. oops!
I had to patch it. Then thought I could cover it with lace (see below)

trim pinned on
But when actually trying to sew it on...it wouldn't sit right on the curved neckline, so ditched the idea. Instead I made a matching bolero jacket.

Then made my hat. I wore the dress over my a line petticoat.

Full length with shoes
 The rain was more like showers. Managed to avoid most of the rain and it wasn't too cold at least. although my hat didn't last too long in the rain.

Close up of dress and jacket - I only put lace round the waist in the end.
Did two dance workshops...enjoyed the shopping and watched a few acts. Had great time. hope to go back next year but with more weather appropriate clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment