"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Regency dress....sleeve dilemma

So as I seem to be posting almost every day updates...thought you might be interested in progress. I do amaze myself how much I can hand sew in one evening (approx. 5 1/2 hours). One day I'm going to actually how many meters I can sew per hour.

I managed to sew the waist *twice* (for extra security) after I'd raised it a little.



Bias bound some of the seams and pinned sleeves in place. Now the thing is now I can see that the sleeves when hemmed aren't going to come down long enough. They come to top of my thumb instead on knuckles.
Now wondering how to solve this...should I bias bind the sleeves to keep a bit of length, or find some lace or make a ruffle to go round the bottom of the sleeve. I know I will have to eat wearing the dress so I don't really want stuff that's gonna get in the food when I eat.

In addition having a few shoulder issues...is it normal for it to sit like this?
I seem to have same issue with a modern top.

2 comments:

  1. Bind the end, that's a clever solution! It is looking lovely, I do hope you'll post a pic of yourself in it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When its all done I'll be posting pics 'on location' in bath...already practicing my 'regency fashion plate' poses.

      I'm finding since adding the sleeves the 'shoulder neckline' seems to be sitting right on the edge of my shoulders...but then I put on a modern top and realize that does the same thing.

      Delete