"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Friday, February 3, 2012

Simplicity 3847 - the shirt - part 2

So thanks to some help and suggestions from a sewing forum I have got past the stage I was stuck on.
But before I come to that lets review...

I stay stitched the collar and sewed in the darts.
Then sewed up sides and shoulders.
I then sew to work on the collar and facing. I machine stitched at first as that's what the instructions said..but soon gave up when it prooved too tricky for me to sew with any accuracy. Very long stright seams is one thing on a machine but small curved shapes are just too hard. Got much neater result sewing it by hand...don't care if it takes me a week to make.
pinned and sewed 'hem' on facing
 (small note here I did accidentily fold over the wrong side and sew it - then had toseam rip it and start again)
Pinned on collar.
Sewing by hand enabled me to use blanket and herringbone stitches at some poinds for both decorative effect and neatness.
Herringbone

Blanket
I ended up attaching collar in the way I thought it fitted rather than as I thought I'd diciphered from the pattern.


So here is the shirt as it stands. needs pressing again.
But next step is sleeves....then buttonholes. Two things I haven't sewn before. And I'm doing it all by hand rather than machine.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. Got it in pink too coz I liked it. It was surprisingly cheap.

      Delete
  2. The way you put the collar on is perfectly legit! And definitely the best for that style :) I think that pressing as you go a lot more makes everything easier, well it does for me. Things go where they end up and so you can tell faster if you're on the right track. Make sure you trim and clip those seams too. Also, putting the collar and facing on is easier before sewing the side seams as you can lay the whole caboodle out flat if you want to.
    You obvioulsy have very good instincts for construction, and as a shirt waister is just a shirt with a simple skirt attached, it looks like you'll be just fine tackling that pattern, and we're all here to help if you need us too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason your post ended up marked as spam!?!
      Thanks. I'm a visual learner so I find pictures easier to follow than text.

      Delete
  3. I'm working on the same shirt and trying to figure out the collar is driving me nuts! Do you have any more pictures or can you tell me a bit more about how you attached the collar?

    Thanks!
    ~Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are you up to with the collar? Have to sewn the interfaced and non interfaced peices right sides together yet leaving a gap so you can turn it inside out?

      Delete