"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Regency Dress

So I've been planning to go to the Jane Austen Festival in Bath for several years and each time something stops me. But this time I'm thinking properly seriously about it. And planning my outfit.
Day Dress

Evening Dress
My 'plan' is to have a plain petticoat with some embroidery round the base. Then have 2 open robes.....Short sleeve for evening, long sleeve for day. Also bonnet for the Day/Outside, turban or beret for inside. Got some nice feathers and ribbon I want to use. It won't have a train for practical and cost reasons.
Although I do like the 2nd open robe shown here.
Been looking on the V&A website. A lot of the open robes like this one have 3/4 length sleeves.
I like this as a colour for the 'evening' dress.

This is as far as I've got with what was supposed to be a toile...but I put so much effort into it I'm gonna tidy it up a bit, finish it and use it. Wear it as a petticoat maybe?
Bodice and Skirt
The bodice is sewn (no sleeves) and the skirt is tacked ready for sewing.  The fabric...well when I read the word lining when I first gt the pattern the only thing market lining that was cheap where I bought the fabric....well it was curtain lining. So its not exactly flimsy. lol!

Headwear
Well choices are:
Bonnet
Beret
Turban

I like the ones described here. Torn between the 'capote' and the rope turban.

2 comments:

  1. Your toile is looking great, and I agree, definitely use it for something! An extra petticoat is always nice to have. How exciting you will be going to the JA fest in Bath! That is one of my dreams for someday in the future!

    I too really like the look of open robes. I will be looking forward to seeing what you decide to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I've wanted to go since first time I visited Bath but its always on a really awkward week to book as holiday...plus need to find affordable accommodation.

    I'm going to make a mock up of the open robe in the same 'lining' fabric to see how it works *deep breath*. I've been doing ok modifying hat patterns so far so this will be first time I try it with a dress pattern.

    ReplyDelete